Jun 4, 2009

Diane Birch "Bible Belt" CD Review


I was recently given the opportunity to review Diane Birch's new CD titled Bible Belt. Her music reminds me of something from the 70's (which is my favorite music era), with a folksy, bluesy, and sometimes gospel feel that brings to mind such artists as Carol King, Carly Simon, and Nora Jones, but with a unique sound all her own. Each time I listen to the CD, I like it more. My favorite song so far is Fire Escape, a sultry song of lost love.

Diane Birch was born in Michigan, but moved to Zimbabwe as a child with her South African-born parents. Her father was a minister whose mission moved his family from Zimbabwe, to South Africa, and Australia. Their family relocated to the U.S. when she was 13, settling in Portland, Oregon. At age 7, she began learning to play the piano using the play-by-ear Suzuki Method. Birch says, “Ever since I was a kid, I have been incredibly fortunate in that I could hear something and then just play it.” As an adult, she had plans to become a film composer, worked as a pianist, and eventually started writing her own songs. She began posting her songs on her MySpace page and as a result, was discovered. She now lives and works in New York.
Click on the Diane Birch widget on my Sidebar to listen to some of the music featured on Bible Belt. There are also links to purchase the CD from iTunes or Amazon, where $1 of the proceeds will be donated the The March of Dimes!
I want to thank the nice people at the One2One network for providing me with the opportunity to review this CD.