Jul 7, 2009

Black Raspberry Pie




My husband brought home a huge box filled with pint containers of black raspberries last week. He had asked me how many I wanted, and I replied that 2 or 3 would be fine - so he got 10! So...I made a pie, and some jam, and I canned the rest for future pies or cobblers. Baking is a passion for me, but, although I LOVE eating pie, I don't bake them much. Pie was my mother's specialty. She would dip her cupped hands into the flour bin, magically scooping the correct amount of flour into the bowl to make the crust. Her crust was so flaky, it melted in your mouth. I wish I had asked her to teach me how to make her pies while she was with us, but she was gone too quickly. I think about Mom when I bake, both missing and feeling closer to her at the same time. This weekend I baked a Black Raspberry Pie for our 4th of July get-together. I searched for recipes, and what I found was that there are Blackberry Pie and Raspberry Pie recipes, but practically none for Black Raspberry Pie. I decided that a Blackberry Pie recipe would do. I used a pre-made pie crust that I had in my freezer, so it really was pretty easy to make. I found the recipe on the Food & Wine Magazine website here. I even attempted a "sort of" lattice crust (I did mine the easy way, without weaving the strips under-and-over each other). It turned out very nice, if I do say so myself, and it was very yummy! Mom would've been proud of me.