Aug 8, 2009

Happy National Zucchini Day!






Today is National Zucchini Day. Who knew? This year my hubby planted a couple of zucchini plants in the garden, which are doing very well, and producing more zucchini than I can keep up with. I've baked Zucchini Bread, sauteed zucchini with peppers, onions, and garlic (just like my mom used to make), roasted zucchini with olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, and onions - tossed with pasta, and just a couple of days ago I made my favorite Fried Zucchini.

Fried Zucchini
Ingredients:
vegetable oil for shallow frying (I use canola)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt (plus more for seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granules (optional) *see note*
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 eggs
1 medium zucchini

Heat about a half inch of oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. Line a plate or cookie sheet with several layers of paper towels or newspaper. Heat oven to warm. Slice zucchini into thin rounds. Beat eggs in a small bowl. Mix flour, bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder or granules (if using), and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices into eggs, then lift them out and allow the excess to drip back into bowl. Drop slices into the flour mixture, turning to coat both sides. Carefully place into hot oil. Adjust temperature of oil if they don't begin to fry right away, or if they begin to get brown too quickly. Fry until golden brown on the underside, then turn over and brown on the other side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels or newspaper. Salt to taste. Fry in batches, removing the drained zucchini to another plate or cookie sheet and keep warm in oven.
*note* I use Garlic Salt in place of the salt and garlic powder or granules, but you can use just plain salt, if you prefer.
You can serve this with marinara sauce for dipping, but I like it just as it is. My husband and I polished off the entire plate with dinner. Yummy!